Thursday, August 30, 2012

My three bullet points

For the reading, I chose My Monster by Barbara Johnson, and I took three points out of the reading that I thought were very capable of being compared to my essay on the Frankenstein scene.

1.  Johnson begins to cover that critics have recently began to critique Frankenstein in the viewpoint of Victor being in a battle with depression. She states that it is a "representation of maternal rejection of a newborn infant" and "mixed feelings about motherhood." (Johnson 247). This was referred to in my viewpoints of the Frankenstein, as I believe Victor is very self conscious about his discovery as soon as he realizes that he made a mistake by making a creation rather than living as a father figure.

2. Barbara Johnson also summarizes a feeling that I had in my essay when she refers to the "monstrousness of selfhood" (Johnson 251). In my essay, I refer to the dangers of fortune and well being, which Victor believes that his creation will bring him success. Although he never states it, all the events that happens after his creation did not resemble what he believed to happen.

3. The last thought that stood out to me while reading My Monster/My self was something I never really thought of until said by Johnson. She indicates that "The figurative monstrosity of female narcissism is a subtle deformity." (Johnson 240). I find this fascinating as women had a large influence on the book as a whole.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is really some incredible insight. Amazing. I really enjoy your opinion. I especially like number one, and I hadn't really thought about Victor being depressed until reading this.

    also ignore the above comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked in bullet point two that you touched on the complexity of Victor's determination in creating his monster so that it would relieve his mind and bring him success. Also, these were really well written. :)

    ReplyDelete